So, you're bored of Pasta? What's Fun, Tasty and can be homemade in 20 minutes? GNOCCHI!
These are 3 Varieties my Family & I have made! 2 being Dairy Free & Vegan Friendly. For Gluten Free Gnocchi you can mix few flowers such as rice/Chickpea or Arrowroot!
- Potato Gnocchi with bacon, peas & mixed greens.
- Pumpkin Gnocchi with burnt butter & Sage sauce.
- And Lastly, Potato gnocchi with roasted garlic tomato Sauce!
Whether you're using potato or pumpkin, the method of cooking is the same! Unless you want to Roast your pumpkin, that's okay too 😋 (Pumpkin is my favourite)
Here's what it looks like, Before, during & After before I let you in on the ingredients & Method... I hope I've got you wanting to start cooking!
Either 4-6 Floury Potatoes ( the whiter ones as we simply know it) Or Butternut Pumpkin for Pumpkin Gnocchi
- Boil your potatoes whole in Water and a tad of salt
- When they've softened enough after about 20 minutes, drain the potatoes so there is no water!
- Keep the water boiling
- When they're cool enough to handle, remove the skin!
- Mash in a masher or on a board
- Sprinkle over the flower as photos show
- Salt & pepper (optional)
- Scrunch and keep pushing the mixture together, flip, mash repeat!
- Use common sense... add more flour if you find it's still not mashed as shown. You will see when it's sticking nicely! It's better to add less than more, add as you go!
- it's almost a 1:1 ratio!
- Cut and divide the big piece into small pieces so you can roll them with your hands and cut!
- You can see I've got a fork, there is a board that is traditionally used for this but I don't have one yet. The reason for doing this is because the gnocci should stick to the sauce, you want some Grooves!
- Once you've done this, put a small batch in the hot water, once they come to the top they are ready! Keep an eye on them, if you think they aren't solid enough, add more flour to the rest! You can trial and error but if from the start it had enough flour this shall not happen. If it does, it's a easy fix!
- Same goes with Pumpkin!
SAGE & BUTTER SAUCE
After boiling the Gnocchi, Drain so there is no water!
- You want to have your Ghee or Butter simmering on high, add Sage leaves also
- Add Gnocchi when it's fully drained
- Summer for 1 minute and serve
ROASTED GARLIC TOMATO SAUCE
- Roast 3-4 Cloves or less of Garlic ( I love garlic )
- Olive oil
- 1 chilly
- Splash of water
- Cherry tomatoes (fresh or can works too)
- Chuck in the oven and keep an eye till it's saucy lookin, at least 40minutes! You can do this on a pan if you don't have access to a oven- starting in the order I wrote this in!
- Pecorino cheese or what ever you fancy to top!
POTATO GNOCCHI WITH BACON, PEAS & MIXED GREENS!
The topping of this is my ultimate favourite, with or without bacon! I don't enjoy it much but I did in this!
Roast all these these Vegetables in Olive Oil
- Silver beet
- Spring onion
- Few baby tomatoes ( optional )
- Fresh Parsley to top and even If you weren't to add a sauce/topping, it would taste so good with cheese only!